Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Weighing

A little over 40 days ago, I decided that I would stay off the scales for 40 days. I wanted to get my focus off of the numbers. Unfortunately, as soon as I made that decision, I began to eat out of control. I gave in to all kinds of cravings for buttery and sugary foods. I quit keeping my food log too.

After a week or two of not weighing, but eating far worse than I had been, I was worried that I might have gained five or ten pounds. I didn't want to weigh, but I thought I needed the shock of knowing if I had gained a lot. So, I asked my husband to look at the scales while I stepped on with my eyes closed. It was a silly plan...

I only wanted him to tell me if I had gained, and if the gain was less than 5 pounds, less than 10 pounds, and so on. I closed my eyes and stepped on the scale. Apparently, I had not explained myself well, because he told me exactly what I had gained. Men! They just aren't adept at aiding and abetting our foolishness!

That wasn't the only time I got on the scale during the fourty days, but I did drastically reduce the frequency of my weighing. The 40 days are up and I gained four pounds. So, what have I learned? I'm still searching for that "moderation" and "balance" in my eating and my weighing. I haven't found it yet, but I'm not giving up. Maybe I'll do something crazy like weigh once a week and start keeping my food log again...

No comments: